top of page
Stop 6: Monument to Columbus and House of Government, 1940
The Monument to Columbus was sculpted by Arnoldo Zocchi
Donated to the Argentine Republic by the Italian community, the Monument to Columbus was sculpted by Arnoldo Zocchi and inaugurated in 1910 during the Centennial celebrations.
The Monument comes from what Italians thought to be their gift to Argentina: Columbus’s discovery of America. On one side of the monument, it’s indeed visible the scene of the encounter between the Spanish Catholic Monarchs, Isabella and Ferdinand, and Columbus before the departure of the latter. Ont the other side, six Indigenous are on their knees worshiping Isabella.
bottom of page